Tuesday, July 5, 2011

day 3

It's day 3 and I'm already bored of this.

Lol.

Maybe it's just the topic for the day: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I feel like I'm never going to not get asked that question. They ask you that at the end of junior high. When you're 14. And they want to know what you're going to do in 10 years - which is 90% of the time never what you actually do. And then again at high school when you're in your later teens. And - again - probably going to be wrong. And so here I am - nearly 26 - and how close am I to what I said I wanted to be doing at 16.

--College degree? Nope.
--Awesome "career"? Def not.
--Not worried about money? Ha!
--Married? Yes (but it's not a great marriage so I'm not sure that counts as a success. We'll say half-success)
--Kids? Yes - well one. So again an half-success I wanted multiple by now. (Truth be told I wanted to be almost done having kids by now.)

So I have one full success point accomplished out of 5. That's 20%. If I were still 16 that'd be an F. In all reality - these have been my goals since I was ten. I've always known I wanted to go to college, have a career, and be married and a young mom.

Granted - at 16 (or 6, or 10, or 14), I had no idea what real life was about. I had a job, but I didn't understand bills. I went to school but high school was a breeze for me - college not so much. I felt like I had all the time in the world - now the days pass by in seconds.

At 26 what would I like to be doing at 36. I feel dumb because my goals are the same:

--College degree.
--Awesome career
--Not worried about money
--Married (hopefully to the same person - and we just have a stronger marriage/relationship)
--Kids - please oh please let me be done having kids by then.

At 36, Regan will be 10 and probably still in grade school. When my mom was 36 I was almost done with high school. This depresses me - and I'm not quite sure why.

At 36, what I hope most is I know who I am. So I can teach my daughter to be strong with her desires - and that way when she's 26 she's not still trying to accomplish the same goals for decades, like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment